Color Tour 5
This is a 45 mile long tour – all on paved roads.
Begin color tour 5 at the intersection of Highways 70 and H in Radisson. The first white settlement in Sawyer County was located along the Chippewa River and was known as Wallace. When the Omaha Railroad decided to extend a branch to Park Falls, Oric Whited purchased 5,520 acres north of the Chippewa River and persuaded the railroad to change the route through his land. The village of Radisson was constructed along the railroad.
Drive north on Highway H through magnificent hardwood forests. Much of the land here is part of the Lac Court Oreilles Reservation. Several parts of this tour are underlain with Barron Quartzite. Catlinite or pipestone deposits are a feature of this quartzite. Native Americans dug up the soft pipestone and carved it into pipes and amulets that hardened with exposure to air.
At 8.3 miles north of Radisson, Highway H ends at a T intersection with Highway CC. Turn left and drive west on Highway CC. In 3.8 miles CC intersects with Highway N. Highway N continues straight however turn left (south) and continue on Highway CC. The highway jogs around Ashegon Lake in about 2 miles. At the intersection of Highway 70 and CC in Couderay, turn right (west) on Highway 70. The village of Couderay grew up around a sawmill located on Eddy Creek around 1890. Couderay means “The Lake of the Short Ears” in French.